MicroMagic fun and LOTS of noobies questionS

Jan…
I am planning to put a carbon mast pretty soon.
Any other idea?

I also have one og these hanging around:

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

Hi,

<<<<
Why o why don`t the Germans and the Dutch get together, with one rule for the good of the MICROMAGIC class instead of this stupid situation, where a potentual new owner has to make a decision as to which version of the class rules he is going to build and compete under.
Come on guys, get your act together, if you really want your class to grow and prosper internationaly then some tough decisions need to be made, and made quickly
<<<<

I am one of the founders of MM-class in GER. From my and many other german skippers point of view: Why should we think about MM as an international class? Must everything become internationally? For what? Our aim and idea is just to have a boat for little racing in local areas without having trouble with all that rules and organisation matters. If you want to have international organisation and strict rules - go for IOM and see what can develop in an international class.

We think that for a little boat like MM it is easy, simple and not very cost effecting to make also some experiments on the boat (for those who have fun to do so) and may be have some more fun with it and building a second or third boat for getting experience than only sailing the boat in races as a limited one design class. We want to have fun in building/tuning as well as in sailing even some more or less different made boats together, which are still visible as MMs. Must everything allways be restricted and limited to whatever just to give a plattform for just some simple racing?

In America and some other countries you already have such one design classes (Victoria, CR 914, Soling, Fiesta and whatever) - so why should MM become another one in that range? If you want to take part at a one design class for strict sportive saling, why not join those classes?

In GER, were the idea with MM as a class started, it started 2001 to have a little inexpensive boat to sail and to build/tune to catch the different interests of our local people around. Later in NED it started similar (without much success for one year) but in 2003 many skippers came from full size sailing and they are not used for some given freedom in class rules and tuning on the boats. So they soon changed our class into a one design with focus on racing without experiments in tuning - by the way without asking us before suddenly starting new rules… But why not, they may do so and in NED the popularity of the class develops on the great success to get new people from the full size sailing scene very well because promotion of the boat in that scene works very well there - in GER we have not that key to that scene. Probably NED limited rules are better for those skippers. But in GER we already have had a much more mixed fleet and different minded skippers from boat buliders to racing skippers and we do want to keep that mixed spirit of our original idea alive not going just into a sporting class and counting numbers. We see not advantage for us to restrict our own wishes and interests with playing with MMs just to match interests of different people in other countries.

Our point to make the MM popular is just to spread our original idea of having some fun with that little boat and we do not care under which rules and organisations that may develop in different nations. For us it is just a simple little boat class where different interested people can find interest to play with. If others take that simple idea, ok, if not, no problem. If they do it different, also no problem. There are ways to a more open MM class as well as to a strict kit-class without any modifications. It is to you, what you want to have.

<<<
The Dutch boats are the standard of the international(European) MM fleet. As stated in the class rules for the Dutch MM boats.
<<<<
If the dutch want to have/create/call an international class out of MMs they are free to do it.
For our german fun with MM still as an inofficial boat class it is really not necessary to develop MM into a international class but to keep an eye on the wishes of our own people around to meet their interests and their fun.
I think every interested “nation” can create a MM class right to their own local/national wishes and local circumstances to get people of their own interested into it. Different nations - different interests, why not. I do not think that we have many people sailing MM which would be interested in travelling far away to different countries to race MM internationally. Even between NED and GER there are only very few, not to say no activities/contacts of our skippers taking part at races in the other country - and I am sure that is not because of the boat rules but simply a matter of no interest in spending much money and effort for travelling. People who are interested in racing internationally may better find their fun in one of the existing international classes and take part there.

<<<<
May I make a suggestion that the websites, rename their published rules, as International and German Development, or some such, so that a bunny like me visiting the site to get a feel for the class and it`s suitability to join, is not confused as I was.
<<<<

I am sorry for confusion, but when you will visit the english introduction page at top on my site www.micromagic-rc-segel.de you will find our idea of MM class and I also give both actual rules as well as our starting version (2001) for your information and free choice. (In opposite I do only find NED-rule version on “international” micromagic.info site ).

Wish you much fun with model sailing - whatever class/boat you are using!

Regards
Thomas

GER 15

btw: the mistake Wis has made with his hull shell (he unfortunately removed the necessary deck flange around the hull) would probably result in being not confirming with NED-class rules and he would be forced to make a complete new hull instead of modifing his mistake and still getting a MM which sails like others but my look a bit different without the hull-deck flange around. It is allowed by “open” GER rules, as well as cutted sterns or hatch covered decks, 6-5-4 or whatever mm carbon spars, some additional rc-funktions, different keel and rudder design.

GER 15

www.micromagic-rc-segeln.de

Hello Thomas.
Thank you for your clear and interesting explanation of the history of the MM and the feeling of the different countries sailing the class.
It makes much more sense to me now.
[:-sick]
My previous experience with IOM, M, EC12 and multihull classes prompted me to ask these questions to help myself and others with our understanding.[:-dunce]
Good luck with your sailing.[:-eyebrows]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

“I do not think that we have many people sailing MM which would be interested in travelling far away to different countries to race MM”
Wanna bet [;)] ???
I bought an MM just because of its size…travelling in mind!! and NOT by car.

Last year, I saw 2 MM’s, one in the Netherland…geez that “guy” was "#%#$&[:-banghead]

The other was a German, thanks to him, I could try/test the boat![:-captain] too bad I dont know his name…but all respsect to him!

Back to MY boat…the problem seems to be overcome…will glue the deck like tomorrow…thanks to you, Thomas, lots of great advices on the MM forum…
now gentlemen, I’ll go back to the MM…have to test my antenna setup…

RE=EDIT:

I did it:
http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/micro_magic.htm

Cheers

Edit: here is the English version:
http://home.arcor.de/holger.harders/mm/grund/gbr.htm

-Wis

Next step is putting the bulb…was thinking of canting it at about 2 degrees…any advices?

-Wis

Hi Wis,

A lot of MM pilots have their bulb 2-3 degrees nose up, to counteract nosediving downwind.
I experienced the difference myself this afternoon when I broached (in the lead *#%^&) and was overtaken by another boat, who got on the plane instead (tilted bulb)…

Another thing is moving the bulb back, until there’s no nose sticking out to collect weeds and grass, this ofcourse moves the CoG back, so you’ll have to compensate with battery placement.
Search the dutch MM-site for pics of the Lobke, who has this bulb (and leads the championship b.t.w.), put back and tilted up.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

Hi Wis, it works with a carbon mast aswell!

The point is you don’t have fysical contact between the copperfoil and the mast.

Btw: I can’t see what’s behind the little red X in the square…

Regards, Jan.

P.S.:
Take a look at the Dutch MM site, way down under MZGN: topic: Paterswoldse Meer for some pics of MM racing and a Smaragd, a Rubin and my Voyager sailing together (I beat them upwind, would you believe it?)

Boaters are nice people.

thx for the help…putting bulb and testing tomorrow or in 2 days…as usual, pics to follow

-Wis

We want paint ! We want paint ! [:D][:D][:D]

Do as nice a job of painting as you did your blue Seawind, and this will be an impressive looking little boat. Nice Wis !

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

We want paint ! We want paint ! [:D][:D][:D]

Do as nice a job of painting as you did your blue Seawind, and this will be an impressive looking little boat. Nice Wis !
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

soon, soon…first sailing the thing…adjusting, tuning…then painting, that’s how I do stuff…my way[:-captain][:-captain][:-captain]

-Wis

Hits the water…first pics!

-Wis

Nice pics Wis!

I have to agree with you on your own comments regarding sailtrim, but you’ll get that right no doubt.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

Thanks Jan…
btw I put the antenna under the deck [;)] works fine with me…I went so far, I almost couldn’t see the boat [:p]

-Wis

nice one, looks good
ed

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by wismerhell

btw I put the antenna under the deck [;)] works fine with me…I went so far, I almost couldn’t see the boat [:p]
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Most problems with reception arise when MM operate in “flocks”, I suspect that some channels have a certain amount of overlap that only becomes a problem when they’re in use simultaniously.

Oddly the flyboys and -girls stand together with their transmitters to avoid interference, trying this when sailing boats, it reeks all kinds of havoc…
I suspect the tendency of radiowaves to bounce off the water must have something to do with it

When sailing alone most receiver problems are due to bad batteries or corroded contacts.

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people.

There you go…didn’t update for some time…

new galleries, 2 vids and a photostory…enjoy

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------</font id=“red”>

latest version

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>