Marblehead sail drum/winch servo

Hi Alan , just passing by !
the small pot is used to adjust the number of revolutions from 1.5 to 5.5 :
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/graupner-regatta-winch-pt-no-5172-11496-0.html
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio, thats interesting to know now, strange they don’t tell anyone about this little hidden gold nugget, it’s not even in the instructions :mad:

I have basic Zebra FM Pro transmitter where I can adjust end points for both rudder & main, found two pots by accident on left hand side of the battery tray, but thought should catch up and brought new 2.4 Ghz transmitter which only had fixed 30% end point reduction and ended up returning it …bugger!!! I could have used the pot on the servo…if I’d known about it at the time

Cheers Alan

Mind you, it’s also worth looking at the charge/discharge curves for NiMh batteries. Although the initial voltage drop for NiM is faster than LiPo for a given discharge rate, a 7.2v NiMh (6 cell) battery will also start out at 8.4v minimum & could be as high as 8.7v (1.45v / cell). Obviously the NiMh chemistry will not maintain the higher v when compared to LiPo and I guess it’s excessive volts that tend to fry the delicate components…

So Alan, if I were you (& graupner say the winch is fine on 7.2) I’d be inclined to try the 6cell NiMh initially & measure it’s fully charged voltage and then see how quickly (or slowly) that starting v drops when the winch is under load. If it recovers to 8.4 - 8.7 level fairly consistantly then I’d think that the 2 cell LiPo would be absolutely fine. Alternatively, is your german good enough to speak with the Graupner tech people (or is their english better!!)? Whichever, it may be worth a quick chat or email.

Either way, keep us informed,

Regards,

Row

Thanks Row, can’t get another Regatta in Germany until end of June so decided to look at other options and thought about recommendations from Claudio, Jim & Guzz on Eurgle 64.5 and surprised they run at 7.2 Volt … and can buy 6 for price of only 1 Regatta :icon_tong only diffference I could see was very slight loss of speed.

Ordered 3 of em to try out

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

I know Jim has written reasonably favourably of the Eurgle winches in the past although his recomendation was to buy several and then chhose the least ‘glitchy’ of the bunch. I seem to remember reading somewhere on this site that its performance iimproves with better quality Rx & Tx and in particular with 2.4Ghz computer systems - I guess the inbuilt clocks/frequency generators are more accurate. Mind you, they’ve got a fairly tight deadband which doesn’t help too much.

How’s this for digging up history - as you may recall I’m getting back into RC sailing after a break of over 20 years. Anyway, was sorting through a box of bits when I came across a brand new, unused Whirlwind Olympic sail winch. Purchased in 1992 it cost £92.00 which a rough estimate puts it into RMG territory pricewise these days, and when you think what the Eurgles can be picked up for…

Anyway, It’d be good to get some more feedback on them, so once you’ve had some watertime with 'em let us know what you think.

Regards,

Row

Another thing to remember is that voltage immediately drops off when the servos/Rx are under load.