Making the Footy Class Grow!

Done - There is now a reference to the Footy under the Model Yachting heading in Wikipedia plus a link to the Website.

If anyone knows more about Wikipedia and can create a new heading through a disambiguation page, either do it or let me know how.

i just want to add a little blip on composites.
it is not that expensive at all.
once the tooloing is done, and is engineered, so that a drunk monkey can make the parts with the molds. it’s realy cost efficient.

to give an idea on perspective, a crbon fiber ashtray displayed in wallmart, would probably sell for for about $5-$15 bucks. you put that ashtray in a glass display booth in a ferrari dealer, probably sell for $5000.

another example is the carbonfiber bicycle industry. look at what the chinese can do with the black stuff, and just about no one can beat their prices.
some other composite producers may argue that the quality of the asian part may not be the same, but all it takes is a ban saw to look inside and compare.

nigel

Come on people.

I know Mr. Waboats shook a lot of people’s nerve (including mine), but now we’re not talking any more. Put youe two pennyworth in. You’re not going to get shouted at by the ‘management’ and you’ll probably add to everyone else’s fun.

We are going places. The UK National Championship is likely two have entries from a couple of very prominent model yacht skippers, if rumour is to be believed, as well as a number of foreign entries.

At least two UK Footys are going to the US to race (hopefully) in May. Does Boston Logan Airport have a convenient sized fountain? We could just fit in a quick race between flights.

This class is growing in size and credibility. Go with it and help make it happen - please.

you could just sail in boston harbor… “the british are comeing the british are coming!” i agree, the community seems to have dried up thanks to our crazed friend… jerk. anyhow, lets get back to where there it a new topic all the time! thats how we will grow this thing!
:zbeer:

Not much time between flights! We need a fountain!

um, if you are sailing on an indoor fountain, how si there gonna be any breeze?
http://www.massport.com/logan/insid.html
this is a link to a map of the airport, you might try this…

Hmm. A strange Brit unpacking something that involves a transmitter in Boston’s airport. Maybe not your best choice of venue. Did you hear how Boston was almost shut down recently due to some electronic cartoon advertisements left all over town? Officials are considering criminal charges.:scared:

Of course, if you are jailed in Boston I could visit sometime when I visit family in the area.:cool:

especially after what just happened in boston…
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070201/ap_en_mo/suspicious_devices
angus, maybe bringing that footy out of its box isn’t such a hot idea!

Yeah, I suppose that’s right. Even thrirty years ago when some students left an empty cardboad box on an apron at Manchester Rigngway Airpoer with ‘Bomb’ written on the side in felt tip, they weren’t very pleased. And from my very limited experience, your border security forces have far less of a sense of humour than ours - at any rate where forigners are concerned.

This one used to sell well - so let’s resurrect it.

The Footy class IS growing quite quickly. I believe that we may be reaching a point of critical mass beyond which growth may snowball – if we are lucky and do the right things. I am greatly strengthened in my view by the number of commercial products that are appearing on the market – there are now at least 6 good quality kits on the market with at least two others on the way.

Particularly gratifying is the entry of Victor Model Products into the market with their V.12. I am not saying whether the V.12 is or is not a particularly good Footy: that is for the customers to decide. What I am saying is that Victor have a very good track record in identifying growth areas in R/C sailing and seem to have decided that Footys might be one of them.

How has this growth been achieved? Mostly by some very hardworking and often not very visible people putting up events, networking contacts and, above all, publicising what Footys are, why they are a good thing and where you can find them. The many people who contribute to this and other forums giving a helping hand to newcomers are also tremendously important.

To maintain growth we need to keep at it – publicising what we do so that the world knows about us. If you’re thinking of doing anything interesting, let people know. If you’ve done something interesting, let people know. In particular, let Charles Hall, the Webmaster of the Official Website know. He has editorial responsibility for the site, so don’t think you have to ask permission from anyone: go to him directly.

And don’t think that ‘interesting’ just means ‘racing’. If you want to run the West Turbotsville Footy Concours d’Elégance or an all star Footy ballet (now there’s a thought for the non-competitive), give it a whirl. By our nature we are a very broad church. I it’s legal and fun – go for it.

If we do achieve critical mass and things do really start to snowball, we are going to be short of volunteers – exactly what for will emerge in the fullness of time. If anyone is prepared to help, let one of the class committee (the registrars under Registration on the official website) know. Computer skills are very much sought after.

Cheers, and a happy and competitive (?) summer Footying,