Making a rudder for a Footy

Hello Neil, being new here and fairly new to Footys in general (although not RC sailing and the cottage model industry) I can only directly respond to your first point, the history of how we got here I am learning as I go.

Anyway… I am English, so I do indeed use the metric system much of the time. Anyone drawing in AutoCad would be crazy not to… in my opinion :slight_smile: Despite now living in the USA, when I write kit instructions for my aircraft and boats I have stayed loyal to my roots (which means the imperial system because I am old enough) and show both Imperial and metric equivalents wherever possible.

I must admit though that I do not see the relevance of this because the Footy is not a ‘metric’ boat. In typical English fashion I note that the box measurements are metric equivalents of imperial lengths which I think makes the Footy in imperial boat.

I am all for the tinkerer and will never make much money from my Footy kits, I do this because I get such a kick out of seeing someone else enjoy one of my designs… simple as that. So I am not driven by commerce in my thoughts, I just like the idea that when I put a Footy in my suitcase and fly to England, install a local Rx at my mates and go to the pond I will be able to race in the same class rather than potter around keeping out of the way.

If the US not using metric measurements were an issue… how did they ever end up with the US1M? Just having fun here…

Graham

im a bike mechanic, and use mostly metric, i think working in MM is more precise then trying to figure out what 3/32 inch is, or something hah. haha more done on the half footy schooner, planks are on one side
mike

I worked in a Pro shop in college. We had some fun on rainy days with the hacksaw, welder & old frames! Either that, or i put the turbo in the front window and go or a ride. :smiley:

No problem with using metric either, but SAE unit seem to work better in constructionm civil stuff, and equally well for cooking. Metric for just about everything else.

Anyone thought of a hull with a very steep run (absolute speeds are so low that separation should not be a mazor issue) and centre of bouyancy way aft. This allows the keel to go further aft and hence the rig. Obviously this has no effect on the tripping force (the main tendency to sail under) but the rig does generate dynamic downforce as well. Moving this aft should tend to keep the bow out and allow a finer bow (better wave penetration) and/or less freeboard forward (more draft=more stability).

In order to ensure that the rudder has a decent lever arm about the fin, we put it in the bow. Why not?

A.