Keel Bulb ideas

This works out to 3.75 oz/cu in, or just a bit under Britannia metal. (Lead has a specific gravity of 11.5).

Cheers,

Earl

Rod
I have noticed this! Turning lead bulbs is a pain. You don’t happen to know a way to minimize this do you? Tool angles? Lubes? I have asked at the local machine shops and they wonder why anyone would be turning lead. They were surprized that it was a problem.
Thanks
Don

I ran this through Bulbcalc and the wetted area for an IOM(sorry) bulb goes from 252 cm2 to 343 cm2 changing from lead to lead free.
Don

Freeze it (seriously) and use lots of mineral spirits. When I trim one I use a real sharp plane, sort of like making a mast.

Cheers,

Earl

Out of curiosity, what’s the penalty for bronze?

Cheers,

Earl

Earl
428 cm2.

I have heard about freezing lead but since it takes me about an hour to turn a bulb I figured the freezing wouldn’t last. I’ll give it a try. Maybe a blast from a CO2 fire extinquisher every so often. Might get costly.
Don

(Surface area of a bronze bulb)

I’m surprised that a bronze bulb comes out with more area than a pewter one; the specific gravity of bronze is about 8.5 or about 4.4 oz/ cu in.

Cheers,

Earl

The lubricant to use when machining lead is old style turpentine.

Maybe I should start again using specific gravity for all 3. Hang on for a minute.
Don

OK
lead-263
bronze-304
lead free solder-343

Those da** apples and oranges, pay attention Don

I got my 8 oz. ebay Torpedo sinker today. Cut all around the length with a hacksaw, to make a starter groove and sliced it lengthwise with a strong blade and hammer. Lead doesn’t saw well, but it sliced well with a blade… I’m making a wood keel and making a sandwich bulb, with the wood in the center. It’s epoxied now and when it cures, I can form it and get the weight where I want when filing it down.

Great stuff, Justin

You will have her in the water before long

andrew