how to get the exact shape of the section of a completed hull ?

got 30 grand to loan me…

or maybe you need one to check the accuracy of the hulls you are making…and I’ll come visit with a 6 pack of beer.

Believe me, I been looking for a reason to get one…

15% interest on 30 grand we can do that. You want the 3 or the 5 year loan? :slight_smile:

120 month 8%, and I’ll put all my boats down as collateral…

Email company and you may find someone/company close to you willing to “experiment” with use. (Seriously) Some companies will go out of their way to help - AND - promote their products.

not a bad Idea dick… I guess we’ll have to keep you around for a little while longer… too bad the university I work at doesn’t have a great engineering program…

well that may be well for you guys but I’m already doomed !!! don’t know of a company around with this kind of equipment - knew a guy who I help working on his boat who had a small wood assembly business and used small CNC machined on foam block - but like a lot of small business here he closed shop in the last few months - was hoping he could cnc cut a male hull shape to make a mould but that’s gone out the window too now :cry:

CS- I have made two hulls so far using the method that cladio used with the foam, packing tape. yes it is messy, but it can be done with very basic tools. if you still have contact info for the shop owner, its possible that while the shop has gone out of business, he still owns the equipment, and may be able to help you.

good point Marc. I’m going away for a few weeks back home to France and I’ll try to contact him then.
cheers,
Gilbert

I had an idea for duplicating the sections. Draw a line on the hull where you want to duplicate, cover it with packing tape, rub 5-min epoxy into a length of string and place it along the line. When the epoxy goes off, pop off the string and it becomes your pattern. I’ve never done it but it should work-maybe.
Don

don, thought about that, but the half hull is a one of kind that is part of the shipyards history. so I can’t take to many chances… I though about laying it up with saran wrap and then using the fiberglass tape with epoxy… but I’m just too “scared” that something would go wrong…

Mark -
if the “Big Boys” (Gougeon Bros. - WEST Systems) can do it with stretch Saran-Wrap - I would be inclined to give it a try. Just watch for drips and runs. Personally, the wrap seems awfully thin and prone to possible tears - I still like tape since it won’t move and can be overlapped to prevent any leaks. Even two or three layers won’t impact your final shape by enough to cause drastic differences in displacement.

Speaking of displacement - many half-hulls were produced for looks - not necessarily “floaters”.

I used the saran wrap for making my latest keel box mold and it worked fine… this half hull is a direct copy of the first hull they shipyard made switching from mine sweepers to luxury motor yatchs… so whether or not the displacement is accurate, the hull shape is what I’m really after… this half hull is very nicely finished and was hanging on the wall of the owners office…so as much as its half hull its also a work of ark more or less…so I gotta be real careful… I got my solder all stretched out nice a straight. I need to layout the blue painters tape above and below the hull and mark it up were i wan to take my stations from… and start working the solder…if that does not produce good enough results, then I’ll have to look at the other options listed above…

after I had done the soldering wire trick. a friend told me of another way. very easy, almost stupid simple… I did not try it yet…

spaghetti noodles… get them soft. drape over the hull and then when dry, remove and trace…

Very clever!

It is Don, and I never in a hundred years would have though about it…

got to try that… that is of course if our dogs don’t eat the spagetti of the hull before they’re dry that is