forward bouyancy vs displacement

Typical light wind on a run sailing position for a RS600, gets the big flat planning sections at the back out of the water…

Download Attachment: [ cool pic.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/Matthew Lingley/2004216174456_cool pic.jpg)
14.59KB

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

nice pic. matt
that you in the front, holding on for dear life? just kidding. looks like you have got some speed there/
cougar

I have compared the entry of the S/W to my Venom and ORCO. At the water line the ORCO and Venom are narrower than the S/W.

I have made a modified S/W with a 3 1/2" nose height and it does not get water over the deck like the original.

hmmm…having a Seawind and I really like sailing her…my first boat…

but as Greg said…an Orco or a Venom; both are on a different world (hope you see my point!)

A few things (check the seawind forum for more details) to avoid this node-diving…:
-I moved the the batteries aft of the servo tray
-Lower the jib
-Cant your keel bulb upwards

Again check this forum…lots of talking have been made about the nose diving problem:

http://www.seawindrc.com/forums/philboard_read.asp?id=261

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/new_page_2.htm

Wis

Edit:
this is completely off topic…should be elsewhere…Sorry for that!

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

I have made drawings of all the boats I own and the S/W has more volume forward than either the Venom or the ORCO but all three are very close. The 1/2 width at the water line at the first station S/W .7, Venom .6, ORCO .75. The second Station S/W 1.4, Venom 1.35, ORCO 1.35. All have their max width at the 6th station. S/W 3.6 wide 1.9 deep, Venom 2.9 wide 1.75 deep, Orco 2.5 wide 2.5 deep. .7/3.9375=.1777 which is a little over 10 degrees. I have found 10 degrees to be a very good half angle for the front of the boat.The S/W section #2 is a little wider than vertical the venom a little narrower at the front the ORCO circles all the way. The S/W front is one of the best. The problem is the heigth. Most US-1M are around 3 1/2" tall. When I made a new S/W with a 3 1/2" tall nose water did not go over the deck . The 1 1/2" nose just does not work. The water goes over the deck mainly because of this. The boat is not narrow. Lay the three boats upsidedown and you can not see the difference in the first 6" unless you measure them. They look identical.

Had to leave . To continue. The Zipper I has a half angle of 7 1/2 degrees and is a good light air boat but I found it didn’t have enough bouancy if the wind picked up .The new Zipper III looks to be less 6 1/2 degrees but I haven’t built one yet. The boats I design have 10 degress or a little less down to 9 with all circles in the front. I have seen some boats with the max width at station 5 .ZipperIII but haven’t found it better or worse.

hoj,

you got some pics of your Seawind??

that would be nice

Thanks

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

I can’t put them here but I sent one to you. I need to buy a new computer. Mine is 10 years old and has no accesories. I just use it to watch here and buy presents on e-bay. The fastest S/W in the world! I let wis say if he thinks so.

Hoj
Could you define “half angle” for me?

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

If you measure back from the front to the first station 3.9375" (you don’t have to draw plans). Measure the width of the boat at the water line. Divide this distance by two. As above around .7 divide this by the 3.9375 = .1777 the tangent of the 1/2 angle. (You can find this in design books). Equals 10 degrees 14 minutes. If you want to draw plans try using soldier pushed around the hull to get it’s shape and trace this on the plans.

My comments were in reply to the statements that (the bow is very narrow and stays narrow until it reaches max beam . Max beam is quite far aft). The bow as show above is the same as the Venom and ORCO and reaches it’s max beam at station #6 the same as them. It get wider after station #2 than the other two because it’s displacement is about 8# compared to 5 1/2# for the other two. What was I trying to simplify?

i am not sure that having the widest part of you boat at station 6, meens that you will have a fast boat. my first design, i put the max beam at staion 5. and the boat is rock solid. it does not hobby horse or nose dive. but is that because i have more hull that my other IOM which has the max beam at station 6. i looked at the seawind. and i noticed it has a very low bow? this could be why ist nosedives?
cougar
forward bouyancy or lack thereof

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by greg V

[:-sour]Shhhhhhhhhh, Dick, I’m actually building a 110 US1M as we speak…[:-sour]
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

<center><font size=“4”>Hey GREG !!!</font id=“size4”></center>

Guess what set of line drawings and construction info showed up in my mailbox today from Tom Craig ???
Hee Hee Hee Hee … [:-devil]

Shall we agree to some specs so perhaps they can race together - or are you comfortable building to the US1Meter Class rules? Let me know ! At one time you were considering the design for IOM.

While we are at it … if you don’t mind …

Mast height - low aspect like the plans or tall as allowed by class?

Keel - depth as per class rules - or depth, but same swept-back design?

Spinnaker - going to attempt it - or just main and jib?

Obviously - if built really light in weight, the design should be a “rocket” - providing there aren’t a lot of waves - but maybe a deeper keel (comparative) might improve that. Regardless - there always will be some “hobbyhorse” with the rocker and flat bottom that it has. Not sure I can get it done this summer - but could always “steal” a 36/600 rig to throw on it for trials.

Email me off line if you want - but there might be others interested. Maybe we could start a new topic?

Don’t be mad - “copying is the most sincerest form of flattery” - besides, you don’t have it copyrighted, trademarked or patented - right?[:D]

<center><font size=“5”>US1M it is !</font id=“size5”></center>

Need to look at mast and keel placement given a probably different center of resistance and effort!

How about balsa cross sections and epoxy coated paper for hull, sides and deck? (seriously)

Will be gone tonight - maybe over weekend - but go ahead and send. I need to study plans a bit before I can really answer.

Will begin a new topic - #110 under new classes.

hey guys
what about me?
dont i count geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz
like i dont build boats
cougar

Sorry Cougar -

these kinds of boats are way TOO HI-TECH for Canadian sailors. Next thing you know, you will want to join AMYA and attend our races !

<center>[:D]</center>

sorry dick
i am already a member. and as far as high tech. i do design too. not very well but my boats float and they do go forward:-)
cougar
and do you realy want a good sailor at your event? dont worry. i wont take your spot on the podium
lol

We usually give “Canadians” their very own podium - at the opposite end of the lake ![:D]

I’m sure we could rig up something “SPECIAL” just for you, though ! [:-devil] Beware - those really aren’t fiberglass ice fishing houses! Especially the ones with toilet paper rolls hanging on one wall. The big hole is used for - ummmm -something else !

lol i gess we have to share?
dick i am on starbaord
Cougar