Footying radically

Rod

Love your thinking and imagination!:smiley:

I will say, before a numpty sea-lawyer does, that some elements of this design come close to the footy rules.

This does NOT mean that they are not permitted, but might lead to debate
frinstance:
Batteries must be within the hull (as you say)
moveable ballast is not permitted

please build it (or its parents or children) - I dont think that the keel you have drawn would be necessary - the swinging keel would still provide the the side area.

Even with a fixed keel this is a sweet concept, and you have added “charm” to the boat

andrew

Andrew
Is “ballast” defined as that which provides righting moment to the hull, or as a counter-weight to keep the mast alone upright?
If the hull always remains flat to the water surface, then the fin and rudder will always remain vertical, and provide maximum side force to resist drifting downwind, rather than the force being greatly reduced as soon as the boat starts to heel.
Rod
Razor 08 CAN

Rod,

GOK - I don’t

But having seen detailed and heated debate about the whichness of the what in relation to rules I have decided never to go there - its for fun.

Hence my genuine joy when "new and interesting appears:D:D
andrew

Andrew
I was reading your contributions on the RCSailing forum, and have reached the tentative conclusion that a vertical aileron (aqualeron?) on the rear of the ‘stem’, controlled by a gyro, might keep the craft vertical in the water while it is moving forward, but how would you ever get it started from rest? It would surely lie upon its side at the first puff of wind.
Just a stray, random thought!
Rod

Gentlemen,

I am authorised by the Galactic Footying Council (Radical Front) to bid you alll Happy New Year, and in that order.
(This message is timed to be suitable for readers who use both the Gregorian and Julian calenders)
A vote will soon be taken on issuance of a similar greeting to adherents of the Lunar cycle who are approaching the Year of the Rat - similarly late.

How are the radical fleet progressing?

Rod - tell us, please of the scow and other mind-children
progress on Phinn-ihthy?

History man - how is your Phinn? Update us please (with references on previous use of triangular footys at the battle of of Zama 486BC*)

*Made up date, I am an adherent of Sellers and Yeatman

ZBF has marked time for a week or two - I am just preparing to glass the hull and do some serious re-inforcement of the joints in the carbon framework.

Savonifoot has got as far as a catamaran hull and the sails (trial versions) cut ready for mounting and balancing.

Is there any more thinking outside the footy box out there?

Have a good 2008
andrew

History man - yes, I know; 203BC

Everyone on the forum was just about to correct me

An attack of post-prandial torpor must have occurred, unfortunately reinforced by carpet-layers and house-painters.
I haven’t got down to the south end of town where the supply of carbon tubes is located, so have made no progress on the rig for Phinn-ichthy. I plan on a super-enormous sail area to support the featherweight hull, which is a mere two-and-a-bit kilograms. Does anyone remember offhand the pressure of wind/MPH/square foot? I’ve seen the number somewhere but am too lazy to search for it again (see above torpor). At a guess, would 600 sq in be too much for the sensiblities of Footydom?

From the time machine …

rig_profile_view_beta1.jpg

tmark, what is that monstrosity???

it looks great!

I like the sail control method.

I remember seeing a self-regulating hydrofoil sailboat years ago, and for the life of me I can’t remember how it was set up to stay level.

Pete

Tmark

That is seriously swoopy, which bit of the future did you get it from?

Please advise history man of anything useful you find out about the future - it could prove invaluable as a prediction based on historical analysis.

Footy,schmooty its got great lines. looks to me like a glass over blue foam creation?

can you tell us some more?

andrew

Old scabs … open here

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=3644

if the link doesn’t catch … refer to Project Blue Sky and Footy in 6 inches of Water threads

Sentenced to 3 days hard Liverpool and an invitation to speak!

Trevor,

I’ve looked back over some of the thread, and my jaw is hanging down in mixed admiration/appreciation/indignation with several other emotions - none of them mild.

I am an absolute novice and near-virgin at Footying (about 4 months) and am not aware of the past with its triumphs and scars.

I have no qualification other than an open mouth (and I hope) mind) and started this thread to allow the future to protrude into the present (a little).

You, Sir, have had a keek at the future and questioned everything thoughtfully - I look forward to digesting the threads you pointed us at, and the imagination behind it all.

Darcy and I salute you

andrew

Does anyone know just what is the static pressure of the wind in lb/ sq ft, per miles per hour, upon a panel at 90 degrees to the wind flow? I need to know this info to calculate the maximum sail area for Phinn-ichthy.
I am planning a 3 ft mast. I can determine the righting moment of the hull at half mast height, and need to know the sail area to cause a 30 degree heel at the prevailing wind speeds.
I am assuming that this is how the initial choice of a sail area is made by a yacht designer. Always before I have proceeded by eyeball and testing, but Phinn-ichthy is so extreme that I do not have any experience to go by.
Awaiting your collective advice with baited breath.
Rod

I’m contemplating something like this.
Rod

TMark - I really want that thing in Liverpool. Your felow spiritAndrewH is firmly booked!

A.

Here is a table I found in “According to Uffa” I hope it comes out okay on the upload.

Wind(mph) Pressure )lbs/sq ft
0 0.00
2 0.01
5 0.08
9 0.28
13 0.67
19 1.31
24 2.30
30 3.60
37 5.40
44 7.70
51 10.50
60 14.00
65+ 17+

Hmm… Had to strip out a lot of non-essential information that Beauford so thoughtfully provided. The forum software doesn’t like my tab delimited table.

Three tries later all I can do is say I hope you can figure this out. Maybe I should try to make a jpg out of the table!

Pete

Angus … I’ll resurrect the design, draw a rig, and even build the plug … there is at least one local brain who’s done it full size (c-cats) who may ante up with practical knowlege and I’m guessing there is a persona-non-grata in Florida who’s also done it and who might be convinced … that, however, is as far as I can take it (business, kids and an agressive off-shore campaign commencing in the next few weeks means my time is f*&#ed) soooooo … unless a guy like Nigel (or ?) wants to fabricate her and unless you’ve got a local someone who wants to fit her out and rig her, it’s just paper I’m afraid …

talk to nigel - he’s coming!