Footy built from Trash

Interesting boat the V12. I’ve got a kit but have yet to finish it. If I understand the design logic of the hull, it’s quite clever - but pretty much the antithesis of the way I tend to go.

One factor that may not have occured to you. In most conditions there is considerable spanwise flow ovedr the rig (generally increasing as the windspeed rises). This meanst hat the rig exercises a net downward force on the hull, which in turn means that bows-down trimming moment is reduced by moving the CE aft relative to he centre of flotation. This is not what the V12 does, to put it mildly.

Angus,

Moving the COE of the sails further aft is an interesting idea, but in my boat it would create weather helm. Although moving the keel further aft could allow this to happen. Perhaps you have solved this with your two-masted rig on Akela, but I don’t understand how it would work. Pictures of Akela show the keel in the center.

Akela 1 is conventional in this respect. WAit for Akela 2 !

:slight_smile:

The Pepsi Torpedo has been redesigned, using a 3-liter bottle. The main objective is to improve the submarining characteristic. Pictures have been posted on the Photo section of this website. Improvements to the existing Pepsi Torpedo have made it almost competitive with the local V-12, but it still skidded along on its nose in a strong wind, sometimes pitched forward at a 45 degree angle. This new fat hull should improve that problem.

It was difficult to find discarded 3-liter bottles at the town dump, so several full bottles were purchased at 87 cents each. The bottle is exactly the right size, and doesn’t need to be extended like the 2-liter bottle. The nose was plugged with a ping-pong ball, just like the previos design. The bottom of the bottle was left as-is.

Drag measurements (see a separate thread on this subject) have shown that this hull has a very high form drag. I have asked for some guidance on this from the hull design experts at the Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, NJ. Some hull design tests were done there on the Americas Cup boats. Dr Savitsky, of the Towing Tank, was kind enough to send me some useful information. He suggested a trip wire around the hull, about 5% to 10% aft of the water line entry, to trip the laminar flow into turbulent flow. I have tried this on the Pepsi Torpoedo, and believe it improved the speed. The new boat has a similar feature, but a double layer of tape was used instead, because it is easier to hold it in place. It can be seen in the pictures.

The hull material necessitates some unusual building methods. It is thin, and flexible, and glue adheres poorly. So everything is mounted to the deck, which is 1/16 plywood. The rudder is hung off the stern with an aluminum bracket, which is bolted to the stern. This is possible because the bottom of the bottle is significantly thicker than the rest. The hull material wants to curl inward after it is cut, so it naturally grabs onto a balsa lip on the underside of the deck.

The keel is made from aluminum flashing material, which comes pre-bent at a right angle, so it is easy to fold it down to a tear-drop shape while bending it around a thin aluminum tube. The hull is reinforced with wood strips at the interface with the keel.

The whole assembly is held together by a threaded rod from the bottom of the keel to the top of the deck. Aluminum tubing is used as spacers. A lot of tape is also used at the hull/deck interface. It was found that any wrinkle in the tape will cause a leak, so it was very important to take great care when applying the tape. Postal tape was very useful, except it would not stay flat on compound curves. A more stretchy tape was used on those areas.

Total weight, including rig, is 17.7 ounces, which is partly due to the keel being a little heavier than intended. The soda-bottle hull is light, but a balsa hull is probably even lighter.

The new 3-Liter Torpedo has been modified slightly, and is now competitive with its arch-nemesis, the local V-12. In our weekly Thursday morning races, it was obviously faster. But this was in light wind, so it remains to be seen what will happen in stronger wind.

However, a new challenge has appeared on the scene, an American Footy with a large selection of sails.

What made the difference? Details man, we want details.:graduate:

I have a V12 here that looks competitive too. I also have a couple of Brett’s hulls, Razors, and Kittiwakes. Things are getting interesting.

We have now had 2 weeks of races with the new hull. The first week, the V-12 was slightly faster. Both boats had about 150 sq in of sail.

I noticed that the trip wire was too far aft, so added a second wire further forward. This should improve the drag, and make it more competitive. I also realized that the Torpedo could probably carry more sail than the V-12, and therefore goosed it up to 180 sq in. Now the Torpedo was significantly faster than the V-12. But we need to get a stronger wind to be sure that the Torpedo can really carry the extra sail. So far, it looks like the V-12 submarines more than the Torpedo.

In this same race, the American Footy had 180 sq in of sail, and carried it successfully, winning the races. But a stronger wind might give it trouble.

:slight_smile: We had some more races today. The local V-12 has changed to an enormous swing rig with a 30" luff (that’s 762 mm). We had light winds today, and he was able to carry the sail. However, the 3-Liter Torpedo was still competitive, as we split the wins.

The 3-Liter Torpedo at the New England Footy Regatta

This was the first opportunity to race the 3-Liter Torpedo in a large fleet. Some improvements were added as a result of recent testing. Expectations were minimal, since it was already known that the hull was a little slow, the skipper was relatively unskilled, and many of the competitors were really good (including Hank and Scott from our local group). However, last place was generally avoided. The conditions were very interesting, ranging from near calm to gusts of 15 knots. It was necessary to keep your eyes glued to your own boat, so very little was observed regarding the other boats. It would have been better to sit out a race or two, as a learning opportunity.

The boat handled reasonably well, with 144 sq in of sail (195 with roach). It nose-dived severely in the gusts, but remained under control. It also was knocked flat occasionally during gusts on the beats, but kept going straight. This may be because the rudder is crooked, and remained in the water when on port tack, when the main gusts occurred. Typically, the boat had a poor start, and was near last at the first mark, then caught a few boats on the reaches and runs, then gained or lost a boat or two on the last beat. Several penalty turns were needed, and they can be done very quickly in these boats.

Unfortunately, the boat took on some water, because the hole for the sheet is forward, and took in water when submerged. The boat could be bailed by turning it upside down and letting the water drain out of a gap at the stern. Prior to the last two races, a spacer fell out while doing this, which affected the trim of the sail, and after that the boat would not go to windward, and did finish last in the final two races.

This event obviously did not provide a major endorsement for the bottle boat, but it was educational and fun. There were a wide variety of boats, including V-12’s, Cobras, American Footies, and a new diagonal hull by Bill Hagerup. The results have not yet been posted, but I think Scott was second.

Well done Walt ~ sounds like you had some fun
Rgds
AndyT