Footy activity??

Just an observation from a long time ago - circa 1999 - 2001 or so -

At that time a speed week/day/month was discussed at length with the then AMYA Open Class Secretary (Jose Torres) and it was agreed the Open Class seemed to be the place to develop and hold/sponsor such an event since it would be open across all classes of boats - both those registered and those with fewer than the recommended number for AMYA recognition. The reasoniong at the time was that those in the Open Class paid their normal AMYA dues - but there was no venue for anyone in the open fleet to race. It was agreed upon at the time, this would “seem” to be the opportunity for the Open Class to host and give back a national regatta for the Open Class memebrs as well as the recognized class members who might want to participate. All was going well, some dates and location in North East US were disucssed and we were on our way… until Jose left and no Open Class secretary since then was willing to take on the project as an AMYA event… so, here we are today.

Everyone speculates on which is the fastest boat - or which boat if removed from class rules could be the fastest. There would be two simultaneous events - one for “class legal” boats, and one for “build it and bring it” boats - and as I recall, within the propsed NOR, the unlimited class would still race based on size of perhaps 3-4 sizes (this before the Footy) - 36 inches and less; 1 meter and less; 50 inches and less; and over 50 inches. At the time, multihulls were actually making in-roads into the Open Class and speculation was whether an F48 vs. Marblehead vs. a 10 Rater and which would be faster? Same discussion in the 1 meter class - IOM vs. ODOM vs. US 1 Meter.

Perhaps it is time for the AMYA and it’s Open Class Secretary to take another look and give consideration for an “OPEN” race in an “OPEN” class.

hey, after all … it IS history !

Its easy to get to the lagoon especially if you’re carrying a footy. Just come on the Subway and get off at Copley Square and head straight for the river. Well worth the trip, no better model sailing lagoon anywhere. Walking is good for you

IF anyone’s interested let me know

johnstorrow@gmail.com

happysailing!

link to pic of my footy-

http://www.strangepaintings.com/boatpics.htm

Thanks for the history, Dick…I didn’t get involved with AMYA class doings until Bill Young was Open Class Sec. Bill was helpful in establishing this class, and he is a Footy supporter, so if there’s enough interest I’ll take the idea to him.

Bill

You are welcome Bill.

Because I was originally involved in trying to do a “Speed Weekend” working with Jose, it was another reason why I had tried to promote a “Portsmouth” type of handicap system so various classes of boats could compete in one large fleet. If the Footy’s get the concept in place, it will only be a matter to gradually added other classes or sizes of boats. At the time, our discussion was an idea to hold 3 “Speed Trials” - one on the East Coast, one on the West coast, and one in the Mid-west - with the idea to coincide with a major regatta… (like the big San Diego event as example).

Good luck, Dick

NOTICE - There is a RC model sailing expo type event in Rochester, MI this Saturday just before noon. lasting about 3 hrs.

It is near Pine St & 6th St which is just a block NW of Rochester Rd & University Ave, a major intersection. Google Map the intersection & you will see the pond near tennis courts.

I understand the idea is to let visitors try their hand at the controls, so bring a boat or 2.

I plan to bring my Footy “Goldfoot/007” & 5 T-Rig’s for all to see. Join us at noon. I am traveling w/Ray D. also from Fenton, MI who is bringing his Footy & a Victoria.

I plan to bring my 50 foot internet course so hoprfully we can measure some times for down wind legs to get some baseline times for class legal Footys going 50 feet…

Look fwd to meeting some new skippers.