First Sailboat and I need some help

I don’t have any. I make my boats glossy so they look pretty on the stand. In thirty-five years of R/C sailing, I have yet to see a dog boat become a winner, or vice versa, just because the owner polished, or unpolished, his boat. I have seen dramatic changes when someone got a decent set of sails after using lousy ones, or when the local sailing guru sailed the boat instead of the rusty-thumbed owner.

Mind you, I’m not talking about championship level competition. Those guys tend to analyze things to death (which is probably why they’re championship-level sailors and I’m not! :lol: )

–Doug

if yo uwant to go down that path, then in full size dinghy racing wax is totally off limits on your boats bottom…:devil3: instead, you polish the bottom so that it has very fine whirls in it…:slight_smile: water has less friction on water than water does on wax…:graduate: but then again, these boats are 12" long…:rolleyes:

but i do it out of habit, so all my footys have a polished bottom, instead of a waxed one… its a crazy business!

I’ll confirm what 420 sailor says, from experience. I’ve seen some so-so home builts get much better by properly setting up the rig, a little trimming & tape on the sail ( to figure out a good shape), etc. even just aligning the rudder (or water brake) on one boat freed it up to go along happily. Even my own ODOM was a dirk because the builder (not me) had the keel fin on cock-eyed, and it would sail better sideways than straight. :scared:

The keel fin is fixed now, but now my sails look tired after 6 years.

I used toothpaste, also as a yoot, on plastic car models when the plastic was the color I wanted. It saved worrying about runs and the car smelled nice. I use urethane, too - either sprayed or brushed (whatever I had on hand or found on a store-shelf first). Patience and better eyes than mine are the keys. Helpful hint: those clamps on the bulb will significantly reduce her speed.

Nice job!!! Sail on!