Drum &Arm Servo

What kind of sailboat that suitable for drum or arm servo?

joey

RC CYBER CENTER “We love boat” Board

http://www.nythom.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18

Joey,

I’m not sure what you are asking. All sailboats from the footy class up to the massive Js use either arm or drum winch servos.

Can you please re-phrase your question so that we can understand what you are asking?

Thanks,

• Will

Will Gorgen

Joey - wgorgen is correct. It is your choice to use drum or arm winch. What boat do you have or what winch do you have? I followed Joey’s link above and it was a Thai-language discussion board.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

each boat is different. i have used both. I have a arm in my IOM and i have a drum winch in my other IOM . both work fine. i perfer the drum myself but that is just me
find out how much of a load you are going to carry. and then decided on the servo
cougar

Joey

what size boat are you thinking about?

usually for smaller boats that don’t have allot of sail area a regular servo is better because it is lighter.

-Dan

I’m an ‘arm’ guy, but the 48" J’s I’m building require drums - they’re too narrow for an arm…

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Well, if your boat is only 4 inches wide (like a multi), it wouldn’t be fun to use an arm winch. Drum winch would be better there. A 4" wide mono wouldn’t be practical, even though I’ve seen one.

The ORCO is 4 1/2" at the water line and about 4 1/2" where your arm would be 6" at the deck. My Zippper is 5" at the deck above the winch about 4" where the arm would be. A 4" mono is not practical? They are fast. Some of my own designs are even narrower. That is why I switched to all drum winches 10 years ago.

All of the narrow monos I’ve seen didn’t work well-fast, but not too stable. they were 4-inches wide at the deck.

If you add a turning block to the end of the arm winch you can halve the purchase. If you then cut the arm length in half, you have the same sheet force with a winch that requres half the space:

Download Attachment: swingarm.jpg
21.8KB

• Will

Will Gorgen

I use blocks on both ends of my winch arm. It’s just better that way, with the decreased load and increased speed.