Delta rig

being that some trolling motors are designed for moving several thousand pound boats through the water usually 5-10mph they can generate quite a bit of thrust…the biggest issue of course is getting all the water moving, once moving its a much easier to keep it moving…

I was just thinking of the sanity of the operator…

still a neat test tank…

CD65 Delta Rig

Winch integrated and tested…

Close-up

next will be the rudder servo

Claudio

Tripped over this interesting twin mast swing sail concept

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/future-yachts-concept-boats/12132-radical-new-sailboat-concept-twin-masted-swing-sail.html

Cheers K1

Very interesting indeed !

The Delta rig deck film is laminated , here after a week of polymerisation

Cheers
Claudio

I am now collecting the parts to build the delta rig for my Papaya hull, but something important gomes to mind:

If you have a swinging boom of long length as in the early pictures, how could you intend the boat to conform to the Footy box rule, with the sails being able to function when the boat is in the box? The long jib boom would not be able to fully swing before hitting the side of the box. :confused:

Would a short jib boom with a narrow sail still work? or possibly two or more sails?

thx

Sorry,
I have no idea what could be good for a small boat like the footy.
Actually I use an old RG 65 hull and is Ok because the ‘rules’ do not specify how much the boom shall swing inside a certain width.
I do not beliewe either that the “footy” has such constraint, but I’m ignorant on the subject.
The surface of the single jib is the same as the total composed of Main + jib.

I just anticipate the possible use I deserv to this Delta Rig : limiting the use to a single RC channel on the rudder and adjust the jib boom for a free swing of 35° - 45°.
This could be another way to conceive a racing. The capacity of the skipper will be exercized on the adjustment of the swing angle other then the rudder RC control.
Races may be organized like that, it could be very fun !!!

Cheers
Claudio

tomo

I don’t know how the papaya fits in the box, but if the footy is a “conventional” footy 12" long and 6" wide down the center of the box, you need not use the entire depth of the box for the keel. so lets say you deck to keel bottom is only 10", you boom need not stay confined to the box.

I’ve been working on the ec12 and vic for nats so i’ve stalled on the footy delta rig…

It’s my understanding that the rig doesn’t have to conform to the box unless the hull has to be tipped to fit in the box. Otherwise the rig can be above the box.

As a last thought before I start to modify the Papaya hull, is there a requirement for the stiffness of the mast? I have some 3mm and 6mm carbon tube, and obviously they are of significantly different stiffness. I think it would be better to use the bigger tube, though it is probably too stiff, although it bot not require any strengthening wire. I cold get some 4 or 5mm carbon tube too.

thx

[font=宋体]nhmghmh4drddsfgfdg4drddfdgsdfh[/font]

I would use the 6mm it can never be too stiff.

Not only the mast should be stiff but the Hull to
Claudio

well I finally got the 507 completed with a delta rig…used Orcon-d for the sail material

leech of sail is 18 " foot is 14"

mast is 2 3mm tubes in a wishbone shape…

I may need to move the jib pivot point…when the sail is full out , it looks like the forward end of he jib club will contact the water…

need to drop some servo’s in and giver her a sail and see what happens…

Hi Mark -

may I ask you were you managed to latch on to the Orcon material?

I scored two rolls of approximately 50 feet each x 48 inches wide back in mid-1980’s. One roll is a silver/gray color, the other a nearly transparent gold/amber color - both with scrim embedded.

Had a good friend and former catamaran racer who was sales rep for Orcon and after he left the company, I have been hoarding my “stash”. Even tried to purchase the non-FAA approved film directly from Orcon - but they said they couldn’t sell to me since it really was an aircraft spec item no longer approved. Hope they didn’t just dump the rolls.

If the stuff is still being sold down your way, can you let me know? I plan to use the amber/gold color stuff for the “A” rig of my RG-65 “Morning Wood” and perhaps also on my 65M catamaran, but stock is getting a bit “thin”!

Thanks, Dick (or PM me if you prefer)

Dick,

talk to bonnie @ hang em high kites

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-high/ushop/index.cgi?ID=8QQQJQ&task=show&cat=FILM

my only complaint…I ordered some trispi at the same time. and she rolled the Orcon up around it self and the folded the roll in half to make it fit the tube. for the trispi. so I got some wrinkles. which is frustrating, but with the footy sails there is plenty of open space to find wrinkle free areas…The only down side is it has some text silk screened on it every 12" or so…Again no so bad that you can make panels with out the text…

I may make a Victoria suit… and a light air suit for my ODOM… I’m still getting the hang of the “Claudio gadget” I could always make an “uber light air suit” for the EC 12…

The only issue with the Orcond is that if you look at it cross eyed, it will wrinkle…

Marc a lovely little boat, let hope she will sail correctly !!!
Claudio

had a trial on sunday…very light air… sail filled nicely but the boat did not move real fast In comparison to the express with the sloop rig.

I might have to wait for a day with a bit more wind…

HI,
as I said somewhere before, it is important to find the correct wind incidence to the sail to get the best power.

This angle is small like to the wing of a plane. Above 15 degrees you may go in “stall” and below 4 you loose the sail.

Obvoiusly with no wind you may have problems if the sail is not “cut” for low wind conditions.

Cheers
Claudio

Claudio

i was thinking that the forestay angle may not be steep enough. my thinking that if the forestay is more vertical I’ll pick up some speed. I figure my little boat with a shallow angle is acting like a swept back wing of a high speed aircraft. needs more speed to generate lift.

I’ll wait for a day with more wind… before I “redesign”

What I can says is that the M class hull I used some years ago , see pics at the begin with the CDCAT, was very fast and very often faster then the classic M. I discovered, at that time also, that the sail orientation and therefore the wind incidence, was demanding close attention to avoi stall conditions. Was very impresssive to see as the boat was loosing speed.
Now , of course between full speed and stalling conditions , there is a full range of speeds.
I tell you that the sail I used was not the best that can be made and I’m sure that the performances could be easily increased
cheers
Claudio