Cyber Tune-up

Any revelations Don?

Not yet. I screwed up my back shovelling the big snow and I havn’t accomplished squat since.:mad: I’ve started a new set of sails and may work on them a little today, we’ll see.
Don

Sorry to hear about your back Don.
Just got back from a session at Long Lake.
The Comox IOMs are going into a refit so we had a Soling day.
From Porsche to VW. Still fun.
Later,
Mike

I’m back and my back is on the mend. I finished the new sail (much flatter) and the weather helm is much reduced (maybe even gone,more testing will tell). I’ve just installed spreaders and lowers to help control the mast bend. I’ll test that next time out. With less bend I will have to re-cut the luff. So now I’m getting back on track.Thanks to everyone that helped me. I sailed with the IOM group from Victoria and I was just a tad (and a small tad) slower than them (for those who haven’t read the whole thread my boat is a US1M). I hate to open the old can of worms but on the average is an IOM a little faster than a US1M or a ODOM? I’m trying to get an idea of how I’m doing and there are no US1M around. Yes, I know I should change but I’m all geared up for US1M and I only sail with the IOM’s 3 or 4 times a year, but I am considering changing. See other thread"To IOM or not to IOM"
Thanks
Don

In my opinion and from racing IOMs against various US1M and ODOMs, the IOM shows to be slightly faster on most points of sail and winds conditions.

The classes should be quite close based on the numbers. They have identical LOA/LWL and similar body shapes, and keel length. They should be similar in manoeuverability.

The main difference is sail area and balast weight. The IOM has more sail area and a taller rig for advantage in light wind and its heavier bulb gives it greater sail carrying power for heavier airs.

I could see the advantage switch to the US1M and ODOM on downwind legs due to their lower weight.

However competitiion improves the ‘beast’. So if you can get into a fleet of well sail boats, then everyone gets better as the boats become ever more refined and better tuned.