Concept racer

I’m pretty useless with hulls, but no one seems to be answering your question (Claudio, where are you?). From what I have read recently there seems to be a trend back to chined hulls for high performance models. I suggest that you have a look at this thread on building Claudio’s Esterel RG65, in fact, I’d suggest that you build Claudio’s Esterel RG65.

Back to the wing, I’ve been pondering the use of rotating cylinders at the front and rear of foils (hydro and aero) to improve lift and minimise stall. Given that you have a wind tunnel, perhaps you could try it out for me…

Here is the bible on building a US One Meter:

http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/pdf/us1mconst.pdf

Long water line = more speed, build it to maximum length.

True Jim. But the principals of Claudio’s design applied to a one meter would be worth considering.

Back to the multi-hull options (sorry, I can’t help myself), a small trimaran with movable ballast might be worth considering. If you used a mast aft sail you could have the ballast on a rotating platform It could therefore be used port, starboard or aft, for each tack and downwind, respectively. You could then have quite a large sail and compensate for the lack of width. The platform could double as an endplate. Being a tri there wouldn’t be the response time issues, as you don’t need to fly the main hull for maximum speed (I think?). Lifting foils on the floats would help to compensate for the extra drag associated with the additional weight from the ballast.

At this event I would expect some conditions like
many turbulences and heavy air near the fans,
light wind with turbulences at the turning point
and lots of waves coming back from the walls.

So I would prefer a mono, still not sure if it would be an ultralight one (like a modified RG65 with lot of acceleration but some weakness during the tacks near the fans) or a heavyweight and wide one using the given limits (with more drag but more momentum during the tacks).

:slight_smile:

Hi all,

Thanks again for the input.

We are currently building a monohull with 2 masts and will show the result to you ofcourse.

The only problem right now is the bulb, which we would like to have. We are not allowed to cast lead.
Does anyone know where we could get some sort of a (plastic) bulb that we can fill with lead shots?
We are looking at a bulb that will weigh around 1,5 kg.

Claudio’s method

Or 3D polymer printing?