CKT first prototype...

Hi Matt,
Well Done,
Can you please send me some designs of the canting keel mechanism
Thanks
Rob

Rob, Sorry mate forgot about that, I’ll send you some stuff on it saterday sometime.

Doug, t/c ratio? you’ve lost me there. The gaff’s too short, making a longer one is the next job on the list, then it will be adjustable. I’ve move the rig pivot forward (on the boom) by nearly two inches since the pics were taken, somtimes when taking the rig would stay backwinded so I guess the pivot was too near the c of e.

John, Demanding arn’t you?! Hope this does the job;

One thing I think I’m pretty safe in claiming is this is one of the hardest to sail r/c boats ever. All 3 controls are essential othewise it wont go, simple as that. Tacking requires perfect timing and gybing reach to reach is just as hairy. You pretty much sail it around the keel if you want to go fast, and it will repay you. At the moment it has a bit of a bows down attitude when on a reach, the other reason why I’m moving the rig back. For the next few weeks Ill just be sailing it as much as possible to tune out all the little problems. After that I’m going to play with shaping a different hull, while showing the current boat to as many people as possible to see what interest is out there. If there’s enough interest I’ll see if I can build a few. This type of sailing is seriously fun, and I really think it has a place. It is not a gimmick by any means, anyone who thinks so really should have a go.

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Matt, t/c ratio is thickness divided by chord on a fin or rudder(or any airfoil). Should be 6-8% on a model.
I’m right in the middle of trying to build the first kFOIL carrying fins for my CK’s and it is very difficult to achieve that degree of thinness with a tube containing a shaft running up the thing.

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

I have the same problem with rudders. To get them thin enough I flatten the tube inside the fin only. I not sure this is what you mean. Does the tube have to stay round inside the fin?

Hoj, the tube for the kFOIL shaft has to stay round since it gets a stainles rod running inside that must freely turn. On these first test boats I’m doing the fin one off w/o a mold and that makes it even harder to keep thin. I use SS stainless Hypodermic tubes from Small Parts and have 2.5 thousandths clearance all around the shaft-minimum(the tube id is 5 thousandths bigger than the shaft diameter).

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

Does anyone have any news On their CKT’s or has this come to a stand still already.

Cheers Gappy

I’ve heard from Doug that he has been making a lot of progress on his boats. He is working on 3 of them - each with a slightly different configuration.

Since he has been banished from this realm, you will need to send him an email if you want to find out how his boats are coming.

• Will

Will Gorgen

Mine will be sailed a bit more soon, too many damn exams at the moment. I might build another one but I’m going to build a mini 40 cat first…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Gappy

You ask “Does anyone have any news On their CKT’s”
Well we start now also with this project in Holland.
A V O R 70 boat we wil go for 7 boat’s and hope they are ready
when the real boat come to the Netherlands, in Rotterdam.