Cinco De mayo Regatta

I want to thank everyone for the fun regatta. Once I sort the issues with my
boat I should be able to give you guy’s a run for the money. I am hopeful
to see some of you guys at Richmond if I can make it.
thanks again Mike Campbell rg65 #165 skinny

hope to see you down there mike…

Hey folks

Shot on on board video while racing yesterday…

its amazing how twitchy these things are…I may have to further reduce the sensitivity of the tx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwN2-3oEXbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjeM-yijFFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQCYv-_FJfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwq8coXhYJw

Marc - which boat were you sailing? Was it Claudio’s design ----- and how did you make out ?

the esterll e

4th… wind was light and spotty at times Mike from Nj won with his skinny…

Thanks for info. I thought you had (or were going to) use a swing rig. Still in your plans - or not on this particular boat?

Congrats on the nice finish

this boat has a deck stepped rig, so it would be some engineering to put a swing rig on it… I have thought about it but not made any progress the esterel e needs a steady breeze to get healed over and get on a step. I’m thinking a skinny esterel willbe in my future long before a swing rig

Interesting. Between working on our bath remodeling I managed to print out the templates for one of Claudio’s designs. It is for a Marblehead. Since we don’t competitively race them locally, I will probably build to sail against the Turner once I complete it’s restoration. Have too many boats to complete, and wife (love her) keeps coming up with more projects. Found out crawling around on floor isn’t as easy as it was back when I was 50 or so …

crawling on the floor is easy… getting up is hard…

working on sinks, now thats a real PITA. gotte be a $^&*ing contortionists…

maybe I can talk one of my freinds into carving a skinny E out of foam for me on his CNC machine…so I can do a quick layup… we’ll see…

Hi Marc, in case you like it here is the one with a water beam of only 84mm, 0.57 of Prismatic C. and 1080g !
Cheers
ClaudioD

I saw that claudio. I still think I’m going to build the skinny esterel. I really think the chines help immensely with the boats ability to point.

Hi Marc,
Congratulations !!!
As a second thinking I have introduced a modification to the n/Arrow 65 revision 5.
Lowered the deck and introduced the lateral chine.
This hull should be lighter in construction.
Shadow detail forms underway !
see below
Cheers
ClaudioD

Now that looks good. would love to have that in pdf so I can try it in styrene. the N-arrow is a lot like our Round Ranger with a bit more width in the rear.

I need to verify first the shadows as modified today including the forward reshaped deck.
Cheers
ClaudioD

Nice looking design cannot wait for the shadows to come out.
thanks to Northern Virginia Model Yacht Club for a fun regatta.
Mike

Mike thanks for coming, and I’m glad you did not have any electrical glitches…

RG65 model “n/Arrow - 5”
Revision 5
Shadows redrawn to scale 1:1 ready for printing.

ClaudioD

While I know that any bilge water in the hull is always possible - any thoughts about laying the servo over on it’s side, getting a tiny bit more weight lower in the hull? I have played with the idea of laying an arm winch on it’s side, and adding a longer arm - but when I was looking at the drawings today a 3 inch wide hull might not be wide enough for the Eurgle drum - but was still a thought, seeing how tall it looked in the end view of the newest hull.

Thoughts or opinions anyone? I have been fooling with a Steve Andre US1Meter design that is running at about 80 mm /8 cm maximum beam. It is based on his “ZIPPER” and that is where I found a sideways servo might not fit/work.

Dick

Hi Dick,
it should be possible to lower the Eurgle servo as well an arm servo when putted up side down see the tread “RG65 Narrow Deck”.
Here below the servo winch repositioning.
Cheers
ClaudioD

Thanks for comment Claudio. As I looked at your drawing, it also became obvious that there should be less problems with the sheets getting caught on the drum. Since virtually all winches (excluding r/c sailing ones) aren’t horizontal - they feed onto a vertical drum, it may be possible to use a drum in the vertical position with sheet feed coming in on top of the drum (as opposed to the side of a drum) if it is mounted in typical sailboat configuration. I never found out “why” a servo drum winch was always mounted with the drum horizontal. Just looking at it, gravity and a bit of low tension on the sheet would allow it to fall off the drum and jam around the bottom of the drum.

If you look at photo, and have a simple fairlead close to and at the top of the drum, the feed on and off should be uncomplicated, and not require any kind of capture device to fit over the drum in which to house the sheets.