Catamarans

Brett, you are absolutely right. But my example laid the box on its side, so when you turn the box right-side-up, the top of the box becomes the side of the hull. The mast protrudes from the top of the box, which is the side of the hull. So it needs to be bent sideways after it leaves the box. But it must go some distance upwards before turning sideways, to allow the boom to clear the forbidden area.

Unfortunately, this is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words.

But we shouldn’t worry about it, since the idea is impractical anyway. As I mentioned in a later post, the large turning moment of the off-center sail would cause the boat to go in circles. But it provided a few hours entertainment.

Ok I get it Walt,
Yes impractical it would be.
However a Tri built on the 6 inch diagonal is possible with a reasonable sail plan.
I just drew a 273mm long hull with a not so odd looking rig that would work,I think it would take a lot of work to get a tri to work in all conditions but it might just be worth it.
We are just back from sailing today…a tri without ballast would have been upside down and blown of the water actually…30 plus knot gusts.Exciting sailing for sure!!