Carbon & Resin Q&A

Adhesives have thickening agents of various kinds added. some probably just use colloidal silica, which is chemically neutral (ultimateky just glass), but I strogly suspect that others include plasticisers an God only knows what else. The high viscosity and typically short pot life of epoxide adhesives makes them unsuitale for lamination.

Using general laminating resins, it does not matter very much -once you get away from very small ‘home handyman’ packs - what you use. I have certain favourites but they are are favourites as much because of source and price as for any technical reason. I have, as I said a few posts back, experienced a violent skin reaction off a French ulta-low viscosity resin - but I was chancing my arm - a complex repair done to the rudder of a full size yacht with no skin protection at all (and I have a talent for getting anything sticky everywhere).

Go, do it and don’t worry too much.

Sorry Brett -

I well know folks who are sensitized to epoxy - and also a few who have had bad reactions from carbon slivers under the skin. I guess I just happen, at least for the moment - to be one of the lucky ones who can work with epoxy without any reactions. Itching caused by the glass cloth not considered.

I seldom work with epoxy indoors. Either I work in garage with door open, or outside in yard on the big boat. If I do use indoors, my amounts have been limited to batches of the size of 2 inches in diameter or less - and usually for adhesive use - not coating. When coating, I will use vinyl gloves, with a barrier cream underneath (inside) the gloves. I also use safety glasses, but not a respirator, unless scraping uncured epoxy or sanding cured epoxy. I started using “my brand” in 1978 and on a somewhat regular basis - meaning at least once a week - but have not worked in the industry that required significant time with the stuff. Maybe it’s because of outdoors work, and limited exposure, that I remain able to work with it without health issues.

I certainly do not disagree with you. Having also done a lot of glass etching with hydroflouric acid, I also learned the issues of using that stuff too. Talk about “nasty” ! I didn’t want to infer that safety issues with epoxy can be ignored. The thinners are very volitle, and can easily be absorbed into the skin, and are extremely flammible as well. Read and follow safety instructions whenever using chemicals.

By the way – a good friend of mine became allergic to the dust from western red cedar and redwood from cutting and building strip canoes and kayaks - so even wood dust and internal properties need consideration too.

I had a friend (Tony Ray) who was allergic to epoxy while I have trouble with cedar so he did the woodwork while I did the glasswork.:zbeer:

This post is of no interest to anyone but I wanted to tell you about my mate who is over 90 years old now and the finest builder I have ever met.
He is still building Model Steam Locomotives. A true craftsman.:graduate: