Arm for arm winch...

Does anyone know where you can get an arm winch where the screw is in the middle of the arm, as opposed to one side (so that the screw splits the arm in half in a sense). My America3 yacht needs one, but the servo I have has the other type of arm. I checked Tower Hobbies and all I was able to find was the wrong type of arm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Dick,

Thanks for the info. I will probably try to fabricate one out of acrylic or lexan. The servo I have is futaba, but the America3 calls for this specific type of arm on the winch, and the Futaba doesn’t have that. How long of a piece should the arm be? (same as the other type arm?)

Andy

What I’ve done is use plywood screwed to a servo arm. The length has to be the same as what’s called out in the plans. do you have a drawing or something? It should give you hole-to-hole length.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Dick,

Your idea about constructing a double arm sounds best. Does it really matter exactly how wide the arm is? As long as it is close to the right length, you’d think it would be good enough on the Victor boat, but again, this is my first one.

Andy

The servo is a Futaba S3801. It’s the same one I have on my Seawind. It seems to be powerful enough to handle heavy air (never had any difficulties) so I thought it would be good for America3.

Andy

I have another servo horn that came with the servo… it’s a small ‘+’ shaped one, that has splines on it. I could fabricate the arm out of lexan or plywood and like you said, epoxy it to the other arm. Thanks for the help Dick. Sometimes you just need a suggestion to kind of get your mind ticking…

Andy

By accident I found that by using 3/32 Lexan the flexing of the thinner material prevents ?most? servo gear stripping. I use Pop Up Mfg. no-snag pulleys cotter pinned to the arm ends. This is for Futaba S-125(old) or 3802(new).
Clyde

andy
on my aussie 2 from victor. I just used a regular servo arm and ca the lecen to the arm.(with a hole drilled in the middle for the screw. then after a realy bad wind blow. I jst ca the arm back into plave and screw the lexen arm to the servo arm and it works fine.