Ac100

assembly continue …

The mast step appears now too high, I probably modify it
Cheers
Claudio

progressing toward deck bonding !
Masking tape to avoid epoxy propagation.
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio,

Usual fantastic job.

I cannot tell from the photo, but if the forward pulley is mounted using a strong elastic, it would act as a self tensioner and help keep the line on the winch pulley.

John

that’s all true John !
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio, we see that you have a mast step on the deck, and your plans show a mast through the deck.

Can you explain the difference between to two set-ups, which is better ?

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,
the idea is to have in this prototype some degree of freedom to change the mast position without being obliged to install a tube or more tubes. Probably I will suggest to adopt this type of mast step or just a simple drilled plate, as in the picture, that allow to lower the main boom. The reason behind is to gain weight.
Cheers
ClaudioD

The construction of the protype is completed, remains the water verdict !

Cheers
Claudio

AC100 “End of story”

ClaudioD

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Claudio fantastic ! …usual construction perfection, thank you for a great contribution to 1 metre AC sailing community, it makes for great option for some-one wanting to step-up from kit-set into a truly superior performance boat, with easy to follow build instruction and example from the wizard you are.

I have finished my male plug with lamination, next stage is to make my first ever female mould :scared: but I will first hand lay-up a couple hulls from the male mould to play around with and compare the differences in hull finish & weight.

I like the idea of having rudder horn above deck to avoid possible water ingression, compared to having it below deck (especailly in rough water conditions) but can’t imagine how the rudder servo (laying on its side shown in your posted plan) arm connection works with the rudder horn, can you expand on this concept ?

The sail winch laying on its side is an excellent idea I will use.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,
may be this picture show how I did it for the rudder.
After the experience of last Sunday, next time I will put the servo rudder on the center line with dual link !!!
I suspect an “overtravel” of the link that bloched the rudder. Next sunday I will be more informed since we are now equipped to go fishing !!!
The winch on the side require to be recessed behind fin box
Cheers
ClaudioD

Claudio, we learned that the boat sank, and now it is under 10 meter of water. Have the divers recovered from the bottom of the lake your boat?

Hi Matthias,
indeed ! The divers are still on vacation.
Tomorrow, with some friends, we are going to try to recover it.
Last two days has been spent to make an “acquascope” hoping will be useful
I will keep informed if I succeed.
Cheers
ClaudioD

PS : Wish you good luck for the AC120 National Championship, Your boat it is very fast and hard to beat !

Just recovered after 2 hours search in trouble waters.
Rig out of service
Hull still in good shape, electronics ?
Fin & bulb appears OK
2 weeks for recovery functionalities at least !
Cheers
ClaudioD

Well done Claudio …was it the rudder jamming as you had suspected ?

Futher have started a AC 100 global build project here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303112 with two interested sailors, one in U.S and other in Chile.

deja vu … :slight_smile:

Thank you Claudio, yes SUI-100 is very fast, but it is a your hull project! Don’t forget that! :wink:
But also the other boats are very very fast, so my target is to be between the first 3 boats, probabaly Shosholoza RSA-09 will be the winner.
I’m happy you recovered the boat. Have you understood the cause?

Alan & Matthias,
the rudder was turned by 45° due to “overtravel” of the single rod link . If the operational angle adiustment is not properly done , there is such a risk of “overtravel” and consequently self bloking in that position. I new the potential problem and still I mis to do it right. Lesson learn hope for the others readers too.
Io penso che SUI-100 dovrebbe farcela, ma attenti ad Areva !!

Thanks Alan for the promotion of this class world wide !!!

Cheers
ClaudioD

Overtravel explained !

All start with a wrong set-up connection between the two arms.
The risk associated with this setting is that, due to the tollerances games of various nature, the arm instead of returning back to the initial position, is just simply jump to the other side and pushing the rudder arm to the opposite direction.
Once this occurs, the servo cannot any more recover the situation unless the obove phenomen will occur again on the opposite site. Chances that this will occurs are very remote.

Lesson learn : NEVER USE A SINGLE ARM UNLESS THE ROTATION ANGLE IS VERY LIMITED TO FEW DEGREES AND THE GEOMETRY OF ARM WELL STUDIED.

Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio
Glad you got you boat back. Was it salt or fresh water? Be sure to let us know where the leak was when you figure it out.
Don

Hi Don
half salt, half fresh pond.
Hul, rudder trunk and fin box are not leaking , I suspect the cokpit floor but I cannot verify since is pulled from the hull during recovery…other possibility the deck/hull joint …I’m still searching …

LAST NEW in real time I found it !!! is the starboard U-Bolt passing trough the deck lamination - joint serious leak ! see pictures.

To make the story short, during circling beacause the rudder problem, time to time the starboard was going under water pushed by the 9kt of wind. After about 45minutes there was sufficient water inside do do the rest…you knows.

Cheers
ClaudioD

A couple of pictures taken by Pascal at the time of AC100 recovery .
Thanks to Pascal
Cheers
ClaudioD