AA Weight (Battery Research)

It was put up as a ptential problem by Niel yesterday somewhere.

A.

If for some very strange reason AA batteries were suddenly not avaliable easily a change to the nearest “standard” type ,most likely AAA would not render anyones boat obsolete in my opinion.
simply change the bulb to a heavier one or accpet a lighter all up weight.
Not a big deal at all.

Niel started this with the bold claim that AA cells where becoming obsolete.I have searched looking for evidence but can’t find any…anyone else have any info on this or is it simply not true?

What a load of Bullsh*t.:censored:
The AA battery will be around for many years yet.:heart:
It better be, because all the manufactures of portable radio microphones and many other devises in my field are producing new models which use them.
Man, will they be pissed off if some rocket scientist says that no more will be made.:idea_125:
Maybe we could form a cooperative venture and buy a small AA battery factory and be making the only AA`s in the world. We could all be rich.:zbeer:

I haven’t found evidence for AA disappearing either. NiCd batteries are on the way out in many places but the NiMH are becoming more popular, espcially in AA size.

Question: Are the lithium AA rechargable? I’d like to promote rechargables if possible since I’m of the treehugger type. :slight_smile: I am temped by the savings in weight though.

LiPo (flat) or Lithium Ion (round) cells are nominally rated at 3.6 V each so their use on board could pose problems of lack of power or too much. The electric plane crowd get over the latter by putting a battery eliminator circuit to reduce the voltage to the R/C circuitry to 6.0 volts although many run 18 V or more battery packs for the motors,
NiCd’s are soon to be phased out due to “green” issues.
AA cells in NiCd’s were traditionally 500-600 mAh capacity, which satisfied most people. Now the AAA size NiMH cells can easily match this figure, though it seems force of habit or the prospect of 4+ hours continuous sailing still makes the NiMH AA cells more usual.
Anyway, how about someone coming up with a 5-cell battery holder to make the soldering required for 6.0 V NiMH packs a thing of the past.