43-900

I wont bash Claudio, he has added quite a lot to the hobby. I do agree on the why add another class? I think the sheer number of classes has hurt the hobby, but enough of that. I see that there is a need for competitive free plans. There are lots of free plans out there, but they tend not to be competitive. If I am going to put 40 to 60 hours into building a boat it either needs to be competitive or look really good (some day I will build a scale schooner). I have been able to do that within existing classes (star 45). The plans are freely available and you can build a competitive scratch built boat. I wish there was good IOM or M class designs, but I have not found any yet that have placed well at any large events. So why not design a good IOM, US1M or M as a free plan? Add some detail if you want, but then you have a boat that can be racer or just pleasure sailed. My $.02

A good IOM does not exist unless you have good tumbs. Further I do not like IOM. Similarly M Class. Both are old design concepts limited by Rules that give little space to designers.
I like the M class nevertheless.

On the other side you get a bunch of plastic kits where you have only to glue them togheter a no body will offer a real performance in the water.

My intent is to introduce a new concept and modern design with a touch of “classic”

One should compare the dimensional characteristics of similar lenght boats and discover the differencies .

ClaudioD

Just a clarification to John’s post.

The VANQUISH design by former moderator here (Dan Sherman) was made open and free to use. There are a few builds in IOM size that seem to be showing it is competitive. How competitive - well if we could get one of the “hot” designers to race it and be honest, we would know. I won’t say it wouldn’t beat the boat design du jour - but I don’t know if it has performance that hasn’t yet been tapped. It has also joined the ranks of the RG65 class as a few have been built and are sailing.

So one can never tell. Claudio provided drawing for an RG65 sized IACC cup hull design and there are a couple being built (or will be soon) and time will tell if that shape of hull is competitive with the narrow stern or wide stern boats.

In any case, I suggest that free designs will always be appreciated - and they will eventually stir some building - especially if early ones sail well - not necessarily competitive. Remember, the Optimist is a rather S-L-O-W boat in comparison, but it, like the FOOTY have found their niche.

I couldn’t agree more. This is a hobby after all.

Claudio, I think it is a sexy looking boat. I still don’t quite understand the almost non-existent quarter rail? Why such the taper on the deck line down to the waterline? Doesn’t that take away buoyancy or is that the idea?

Thanks again for your contribution. I personally am building and AC100 and have started a AC120 for a client. Great boats!

Brian

First off, I must give mucho props to claudio. I have never seen a more prolific designer of model yachts than he. Keep it up, claudio, it gives us poor folk something to do!
Secondly, no, we don’t need a class of this size. That has never stopped model yachting before. I remember when the prevailing wisdom was that you could not get something sailing well under 36". Well, now there are people building 6" boats! Will this be the next big class? Probably not, but there will be no next big class unless somebody puts out some.
So, lets just let the designs come, and if they are free, so much the better. A class like this has the potential for catching on on a local level, and building from there.

Which may be a good thing - but impact AMYA in the long run. As security hit the travelling sailors after 9/11/2001 - the gas crunch is probably going to do the same. This can mean few attendance at central National Championships, and perhaps more attendance at Regional and State events - plus local ones. Probably something that the AMYA Board will need to focus on for future - and remember - there are more non-sailors buying sailing boats than racers. If you wanted to make a profit, which volume of owners would you go after as a customer base?

Not to hijack the thread too much. How many of the thousands of boats that are sold do you see sailing? The only ones I ever see are the few that race. As many have said, it is only fun to sail by yourself for a little bit. I think that leads to many of the plastic boats sitting collecting dust, not being sailed.

the proposed sail plan but not limited to :

The proposed 43" OPEN CLASS RULES :
Just fews parameters : overall dimensions shall stay inside the Size Box, as well the Max Displacement and Max Sail Area, that’s all !

ClaudioD

PS: as noticed by kzimmerman the Rules was not referring to “Monohull Only”
The miss is now integrated !

My first thought on those class rules is, multihull. Maybe you might wanna specify a max beam if your intent is to create a monohull class.

You are right !
Shall be a monohull,
I just added the missing details
Thanks
ClaudioD

For the amateurs of “chine hulls” , here is an exemple of :

Soon I will start the build log for the 43-900.
Shadows drawings in 1:1 scale will be inserted here to
Cheers
Claudio

This is my last draw for a 43"

I will start the construction tomorrow .
The shadows are printed and in attachment and to scale 1 : 1 - Ensure PDF A4 print at 100% !

This is the first time that I will bild a model with a Prismatic Coeficient of 0.60
The displacement is 3125g.
1mm variation around the Water Plan is about 110g. I consider this amount as reserve in case the construction will be more than 1050g.

Claudio

Claudio, I like the look of the hard chine version. Might have to shrink it to a RG-65 size.

So far it can allow the displacement you search for.
Remember the volume go with the cube of the scale and according to a simple calculation , the RG65 displacement will turn around 560g, appendices not included !
Cheers
ClaudioD

Start of CD-43" Build Log !

ClaudioD

Claudio,

If it turns out anything like your other builds I’m positive it’ll be fantastic. Once I’ve finished ‘Enterprise’ my intention was to do one of the AC120s but now I’m giving serious consideration to this 43/900.

I was surprised to read some of the negative comments responding to this thread although a part of me sort of agrees - I imagine there are a limited number of people interested in the serious racing aspect of this hobby and so another new class could potentially dilute the other classes. However, and it’s a very big ‘however’, I wouldn’t mind betting that there are substantially more people interested in the build process. You’ve only got to look at the number of boats some have built over the years (yourself included & hopefully me as the years pass) to ascertain where our passions are - after all we can only sail one boat at a time!

I’ll be following this thread with much interest - do you intend to produce some drawings for the coachroof / cockpit frames?

In the meantime, ignore the negative stuff, as I’m sure you will.

Regards,

Row

I tend to agree with what you wrote Row.
From my point of view out of all models built or bought, probably only 10% are interested and partipate in racing.

What about the remaining 90% of modelers ?

Most of them are very happy to build a new model if plans are availables and eventually free of charge !!!.

I do intend to follow the built log as done in the past.
The coachroof will be simply done by shaping a piece of polystirene covered with packing tape and then laminated with glass epoxy. I will provide some sketchs to show some details or probably a simple picture.
ClaudioD

While waiting the band saw blades, this is what I will do as Servo’s Set Up.

ClaudioD

Just to keep things going on and for the amateurs of servo arm :

since the boom does’nt need to be open 90°, the the servo arm can be slightly shorter.

Here more details about Servo -Arm setting :

It is not yet certain that the BMS 630MG servo will operate in terms of torque. Testing are needed !
More expensive servos are available so far the weight are not too high. see HS7945TH

my Fairleads when the sheeting set up is inside the hull :

Saw bands not yet delivered !

ClaudioD

a couple of pics about the fairlead indicated above .

Since I like to have all sheeting under deck, I started a new design of fairlead using a pulley as replacement of the bent copper tube as used so far.
Is a little more complicated to make and I wonder if really pay the effort, nevertheless I adds some pictures showing the principle prototype.
The definitive one should use brass collars supports as shown in the drawing.
ClaudioD