"1290" Class M Hard Multi Chine Hull

Before fixing the shadows it is necessary to laminate the trunk effort areas as the Rudder, Fin/Mast and Jib.
Glass fiber 162g/m² - added expected weight 65g

While waiting for a complete polymerization of previous work, I started building the mock-up for the Peaked Deck.
Simple shape, but not easy to make unless I’m loosing my manual capacity…!! nevertheless it will look like this picture…
Later as usual…sanding and packing tape…

Since stern and bow are sealed, was a good opportunity the fill the hull with water. I used a blue pigment to get a better view although not very impressive. Filled 4085cm3 of water which is a little bit more then the 4023cm3 as per design. Considering that this volume is based upon the internal hull form, no problems. All in line with the design except that a couple of leaks are found. (second purpose to fill in water)

Peaked Deck under lamination with two layers of 80g/m² glass/epoxy and hull weight check. Measured 369g a bit too much, but I need checking.

After cutting the deck template and repositioned the peaked deck I found that is not looking nice to my view. For me is too wide. A new one is ongoing !
Fin top modified and threaded rod integrated with bolts. Tomorrow the bonding with loaded epoxy !

Work progressing around the new Peaked Deck and Fin.
Bottom side of the Fin modified to allow matching with bulb shape at 2° tilt. Preparing for fairing.
Top side Brass Rod bonded with loaded epoxy.
Peaked Deck mock up preparation is requiring more time then expected since I desire to integrate a stepping wedge to met the deck bonding.
Mock up bonded with vinyl glue (for wood) on a piece of Polystyrene Foam for easy handling.

Peaked Deck master ready for lamination

This morning I wake up with the idea to cut out the slot for the Fin Trunk.
Later I will try to spray the white primer first layer if temperature in garage is OK.
Having removed the hull from the support after several days I noticed how much the hull is sturdy.
I could have gained about 50g using 2 layers instead of 3.
The actual thickness at the hull bottom around the trunk area reinforcement is of 0.9/1.0mm and this is due to : 3 layers of Glass tissue of 80g/m² for the hull + 2 layers of glass of 160g/m² around the Fin Trunk area. Final slot dimension 70mm x 13mm

This afternoon I finally went to the garage with 16°C, but found on the spray can that the accepted temperature range is 10°C to 32°C.
2 layers of Primer at interval of 1/2 hour and the 3rd layer after 1 hour.
Weight increased only 16g.
Some pictures below.

Claudio,

The chine hull reminds me of a boat that I used to watch occasionally off Southern California many years ago… It was named “Rag Time” and was a winner in the Trans Pacific race to Hawaii at the time.

I’ll bet that this boat will be fast too; it certainly looks it. You’re going to have to paint it “swirl” to keep other skippers from seeing the fast lines of this hull.

Have you decided on a name?

Can’t wait to hear how quick she is, hopefully she will be a winner on the racing scene.

Cheers,
Clark

Hi Clark,
Yes it is true, chined hull are fast.
At the begin of the year I was busy with other designs like 10R, IOM and a Class M, when it happen to read a paper from a Canadian/Belgian Architect Alex Quertenmont about the peculiarity of chine hulls.
Was so interesting that I changed my mind and start drawing a multi chine hull. The major expected parameters were: speed, maneuverability, close hauled and stability performance. True or not, who knows ! but now I’m fully involved with the construction.

The name is in the title “1290 C” as 1290mm length and C for Chine.

No time to build the 400liters basin to experiment the Swirling paints, but certainly not to hide the hull forms.

I learn also how it is difficult to draw chine shadows. 4 panels is rather easy, 5 panels is getting complicate and six panels really difficult in order to combine the focal points that warrant the developed surfaces.

Other then the hull form I want to experiment also the radial jib similar to the one developed by Hoyt.
It may that the rudder stock will be linked to an easy accessible pulley to avoid pulling/pushing rod swing requiring wider holes. (see below)

Pictures are generally substituting words.
At the moment busy with a lots of details, Fin Box, reinforcement Shadows, deck layout including the transom, this is why I just worked around a mock up to visualize future tasks.
Here where I am, even my thinking is already somewhere else like a model that can be faster then a IOM a well a Class M and 115cm - 45" long.
Cheers
Claudio

Some more progress !
This time was spent to carry on with the Fin Box. Small piece but time demanding for bonding and lamination.
Box made with 1.5mm plywood and 105g/m² glass/epoxy.
Possibly adding another layer of glass/epoxy once bonded to the Hull.
Hull slot to be trimmed.
I also started presenting and checking the real shadows necessary for the assemblies. Not all shadows are made and in particular the ones required as support of the radial/sliding Jib Box.

I’m jumping from one thing to the other ! To many to do yet !!!
This is the period for small boxes construction.
Here the beginning for the Sliding Radial Jib Box.
The Inner Box is done first to be ensure that the External box will be adapted to the dimensions of the inner one

Long rally today !
New peaked Deck lamination with 1 x 85g/m² + 2 x 48g/m² glass-epoxy.
Laminated also second face of jib box elements.

Today bad weather and rain

Peaked Deck de-molded.
The old one 4g is lighter although larger !

In 24h we lost several temperature degrees, lot of rain and RH going up. No much to do and watched TV !
Finally I managed yesterday Afternoon to bond the central support shadows and trace the preliminary support template. I’m studying the way to make the “platform” dismountable in case I want to change with a Servo Arm.

Slowly but progressing !
The situation concerning the dual servo positioning is almost solved. Battery position according to which servo used.
Fin Box adapted to the Hull waiting for alignment and bonding.
Jib box under assembly, appear fragile will better with additional lamination !

Again raining and my balcony (lab) is wet all over.
Progressing with the radial jib assembly with the inner box in the living room, don’t tell her !!!.

Added last picture with the jib boom retaining tube bonded inside the Box, next will be the cover plate.

This morning bonding of the jib box cover. Some sanding and painting. Measured dimensions : 90 x 41 x 12 mm
Not excluded a layer of fiberglass/epoxy for reinforcement
Now that the internal box is made, I can start the external one.

The entire radial Jib Boom and Box with the 69g is probably too heavy although a normal boom would have used 15g.
The external box made today is 24g, the radial Jib boom and internal Box are 45g.
Out of the 45g, the Jib Boom alone should be around 12g + 11g metal rod = 23g. The remaining 22g are used for the inner box carbon tube a Stay hooking block.
I need to study another method since the sliding principle is too heavy.
I will integrate only the 23g radial Jib with his Box !
It will be easier to change the Main/Jib sail area ratio.