1.8m now 2.0m

It is pretty wild, they were quite surprised!
We go about even with them in flat water, while we have great speed for a model in the rough stuff a real boat has the edge there.
Downwind they had an edge due to more sail area & length, but we didn’t try it in heavy air.

In flat water in 10-12 we are going upwind at around 3.5 knots, reaching at 5-6.
We have seen as high as 9 knots downwind in heavy air, 20 knots.

I’ll post a video from sailing yesterday, it started at 16-20 and built to 33…
The boat performed amazingly well, no water inside, no nose dives and serious speed!

Here’s one of the videos from yesterday, cold and WINDY!!
Sorry about the shaky video, the water was very rough and being on a floating dock didn’t help!
It was super tricky to sail in these conditions and film alone…

Max TWS 33 knots. “B” Jib “A” main. This was a test to see how the boat would perform way up range with the big main.
I was very surprised to see how well it sailed in such extreme conditions.
If we were racing this would have been a “B” main for sure, but it was a fun test like this.

Video Link:

http://s5.beta.photobucket.com/user/evelyn32/media/AlinghiHeavyAirTest2.mp4.html

Facebook page for the 2 meter One Design, check it out:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/2m-RC-Sailing/287062741414123?ref=hl

John,

Despite the seriously over-canvassed sail plan, she still looks very controlled & smooth. Of particular interest was the down wind runs which always sort the wheat from the chaff in terms of design. While she appeared to take on a slight nose down attitude there didn’t appear to be much submarining which I’m guessing indicates good volume in the bow sections without being over the top and then killing off windward performance. All told, a successful experiment - congratulations!!

Regards,

Row

By the way, facebook page looks good - I wish my design & build was prolific enough to warrant the same!

Thanks, for sure it was a test to see what the limits were. To be honest I was surprised (in a good way) with how well the bow stayed up while running.
There is quite a bit of volume forward in the design (much like real V5 AC boats) but more balanced than my earlier design “The Box”.
It was also great to have near zero water inside & no failures of any kind with the sails, rig or winch.

this shot shows more of the hull shape and bow volume:

Haven’t posted here in a while, looking forward to getting out sailing soon!
Here’s a shot of hull#4 getting close to completion: