1.2.3. Esterel-2

Hi Claudio
If you’re only going to leave it in for fourty minutes, why use peel ply? Why not something cheaper, like paper towel?
Don

Hi Don,
as often said, I use the peel ply to absorb the excess of resin and not to get rough surface.
Some earlier posts show what is the difference for 1dm² : 6.40g against 7.75g

I’m use to that and happy !
40minutes is not mandatory, when I see that the peel ply is sufficiently saturated, then I remove the ribbons.

If there is too much resin, the peel ply will be saturated very fast in less then ten minutes. If I would observe that there is still some excess of resin, I could decide to apply again peel ply ribbons. So far never happen since I use very carefully the brush and resin. The ‘rule’ 50/50 with glass is always achieved. Too much resin do not offer any advantage only weight increase and too low resin content, the strength is reduced.

I do not knows what sort of paper towels you refers to, but I’m afraid that they will stick to the laminate.
Cheers
Claudio

10 hours later the glass excess are cut away !

ClaudioD

PS: I couldn’t resist and pulled the laminated hull with the help of a soft glass blade. Measured weight 245g that is 90g less then the previous molded hull and look still sturdy.
Amazing how easy it is to take out the hull from the mold !!!

That’s means that I could reduce further the weight if necessary. I do need to recall the weight budget again .
CD

I think to stop here even, from my calculation, I could try to go for one single glass layer of 100g/m² . This option would produce a hull close to 210g instead of the actual achieved 245g. I’m puzzled and eventually changing color too.
These are the last pictures of this morning.

Now is time for ‘thinking’ the next steps while polymerization will go on …
ClaudioD

Beautiful finish Claudio, 245 gsm is damn good but surely you will start to get some transparency in the hull if go any lighter ? … also hull becomes bit of egg shell that requires extra careful handling, are you adding lightness in hull to increase bulb weight (righting moment) ?

Hi Alan,
I went outside to take some pictures either in the North side of the house without sun and at the South with a nice sunny day.
Of course there is a lot of difference with deck coverage or not
I let you judge.
Probably I will not go any further unless I get attracted by changing the color with a light blue as the one used for the ESTEREL Footy and one glass lamination only with 100g/m². See this brochure : http://www.sennelier.fr/article/photo/dossier18/Nuancier-Pigments.pdf
The codes 385 and 305 are calling my attention !

Cheers
ClaudioD

Hello,

It looks really sharp !!! Do you consider painting it on the inside to reduce transparency? Is the hull “stiff” enough, given the length and only 2x80g tissue?

Regards,
Lukasz Koch

Hi Lukasz,
rather stiff and in any case more then previous OneTwoTwo with 3 layes of 80g/m²
The idea was to get rid of painting problems like micro craters and weight.
I do not think being necessary unless not disturbing the final budget.
Certainly a white gel coat would be less “transparent”.
Cheers
ClaudioD

Claudio,

the other day I also tried to play with gel coats and I figured that white one was also quite transparent, unlike the black. Too bad you guys can’t see it on that picture. http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2033/zdjcie0243z.jpg Anyway, your hull looks very nice, also in the back light. Congratulations

Lukasz Koch

Do you have a wider picture view ? I do not understand how the hull look like
Thanks
ClaudioD

Possibly I will try this color with a preference for the Cerulean Blue if I will find the pigment downtown !
ClaudioD

Got it but expensive ! 40€ for 145g

Of course it is a real natural pigment and not a chemical imitation that cost less then half price, but…
I’m a little crazy !!!

ClaudioD

@Claudio:

For some reason, blue is often expensive as a colour. I used to make fairy floss (cotton candy) years ago and the blue colouring we used for that was more than twice the price of (red) pink… maybe it has cobalt in it or something…

Yes it contains Cobalt-chrome, Magnesium and Aluminum oxide. There is another more expensive as the Violet for 89€
CD

Start assembly work !
It begin with the deck stripes bonding using samba/obeche 3x5mm and epoxy resin.
ClaudioD

stripes bonded and weight gone up by 14/15g !!!
ClaudioD

Preparing the transom template.
The use of Solder Wire is helping a lot to search the form especially here with a tilted transom shape.
Some 2 or 3 carton cutting trials are necessary to get a satisfactory template.
ClaudioD

Today I started the Fin Box simple construction !
As usual with plywood, glass fiber and epoxy resin
ClaudioD

Why the plywood ? …thinking here you are wanting to add lightness

Yes of course, will be next try if the weight is too high
Cheers
ClaudioD